This is more of a continuation of my previous post.
The RGM-89 Jegan was possibly the longest running production model that Anaheim Electronics ever developed, spanning from UC0090 until UC0129 (possible end of use).
Note: the Jegan was originally designed by Yutaka Izubuchi (who also designed Patlabor mechas).
Quote from the image (taken from Anaheim Journal pg 48-49):
“GM” lead the Federation Forces to victory in the One Year War. When its direct descendant, RGM-89, rolled out, it was called “The Bottom Line(1) of MS history” by the military commentators.
Still the Federation’s current standard MS, this model meets all high standards for a modern multipurpose MS such as space superiority, interception, anti-surface attack, war-zone patrol, base defense and ship escort. Also the reliability and cost performance outshines all other models(2). The architechtronics that meets each and every Military Specification by the Federation assures the highest expandability.
Needless to say, Mobile Suit are the fruit of cutting edge technology…
(1) – the last word for general purpose MS development
(2) – from the Earth Federation side, as Anaheim Electronics builds MS for BOTH Earth Federation AND Neo Zeon (as of UC0090)
The RGM genealogy chart:
From this chart we can see from where the Jegan was developed. I can’t read Chinese, if anyone there could help on the translation, I’d be very thankful. (p.s. found this by using Google image search. A very big Thank You for the chart creator).
In UC0093, we see the first active duty of the Jegan line in the OVA Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counter Attack.
In UC0096 (of Mobile Gundam: Unicorn), derivatives of the Jegan was created, notably:
- RGM-89s (prototype Stark Jegan) – a modified RGM-89D construction for artillery use.
- RGM-89D – newly designed backpack and shoulder armour, improves in maneuverability. Also, a new type of rifle in use.
- RGM-89S – anti-ship type MS, a sub-line of the RGM-89D, with changes done in the torso, waist and backpack construction. Also armoured up in the head, shoulder, forearm and calves.
- RGM-89De (ECOAS use) – exclusively for the ECOAS detachment. Upgraded head with new visor bearing enhanced sensors, armoured torso and coated in stealth paint.
- RGZ-95 series – eventhough its (technically) a Zeta-line but its more of a mix of the Zeta, Methuss and Jegan. A transformable MS that can be used as a transport for other MS. The RGZ-95C Commander-type carries a mega beam launcher for long-range fire support.
- RGM-96X Jesta – a high performance and specialized MS designed in creating situations where the Gundam Unicorn can handle. Possibly a shares little from the RGM-89 design.
In UC0123 (of Gundam F91), the Jegans are upgraded (some what) in terms of firepower and maneuverability:
- RGM-89J (Normal-Type) – a direct upgrade of the baseline RGM-89. Power output and speed increased.
- RGM-89M (B-type) – an upgrade of the RGM-89J, changes in armaments with five-tube rocket launchers at each hips (replacing the standard three-grenade rack) and two beam sabers at its left forearm.
- RGM-89R (A-type) – major overhaul had been done, making the most powerful and fastest of all the RGM-89 models and sub-types. Exclusively used for squad leaders.
(big thanks to Hiroy for some of the translation gist)
Beam rifle and grenade
The beam rifle is marginally more powerful than previous line of mass-production MS and it uses an integrated sensor suite that links to the Jegan’s main camera and laser sensors.
The grenade rack houses three (hand-held?) grenades. Used for close to medium-range combat.
The shield uses a movable-mount mechanism that rotates the shield on a single axis for offense and defensive purposes. The shield also houses two missile tubes at each sides for long-range combat. Also, like most physical shield, it is coated with a layer of anti-beam coating that deflects/glances (medium-powered) beam shots.
Head-mounted vulcan pod
The beam saber had two places where the beam would come out, but the purpose for this was to set the output of the beam, this is either a long and narrow beam (normal) or a shorter yet wider beam (more damage).
The 60mm vulcan pod is similar to the RX-178, ammo is fed from a magazine clip that is slotted to the right-side of the head. It provides a last-ditch resort firearm as its weak in terms of hitting power. Hiroy mentioned that the manual states that the 60mm shells are the caseless ammunition. But…
Notice that the head EJECTS an empty shell? Click on the image for a bigger view.
Clearly it uses conventional ammunition… A “slight” oversight from the animators or manual writer here. 😄
The head unit’s main camera had been upgraded into a long-range sensor and linked to the laser sensors at the top part of the visor for accuracy. A communications antennae is mounted behind the vulcan pod.
Also shown is the RGC-90 Jegan Heavy Armour/Cannon type. Its sad that current line of HGUC kits are lacking in these small technical details, even sadder still the same goes for new MG with their manuals.
Looks like Sanae from the Touhou Project loves the Jegan (she ‘s a bit of a mecha nut).
And that… concludes my longest thought post. 😮